Shropshire Ornithological Society
Registered Charity No.: 514487
Welcome to the website of the Shropshire Ornithological Society (SOS). In these pages you will find information about the objectives, activities and work of the SOS. Just select the links on the menu above or in the listing below.
If you find any errors or have material for inclusion on the site, please contact the web manager.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- NEW CANCELLATIONS!
- Due to the further restrictions which the Government has put in place, it is with great regret that the rest of the Field Trips for this year will be cancelled. A programme is being formulated for next year, but with caveats about Coviid-19. (29 Sep 2020)
- The SOS indoor meetings for 7th October, 4th November and 2nd December have been cancelled owing to limitations relating to use of Bayston Hill Memorial Hall. It is hoped that the speakers and topics can be postponed to next year. All being well, we will meet next in January 2021.
- PLEASE VISIT THIS WEBSITE OFTEN FOR NEWS OF MEETINGS SCHEDULED FOR NEXT YEAR.
- VENUS POOL NEWS
Having carefully considered the Government’s advice and recommendations, we were very pleased to be able to reopen the car park and arable field from Saturday, 13 June. For reasons of safety, however, we are unable to reopen the hides, or the access routes to the hides, and these will remain closed, and the hides locked, for the moment, but this will remain under constant review. Our reasons for keeping the hides closed for now, include but are not limited to:
- We lack the resources to regularly clean the hides to reduce the chances of Covid-19 transmission,
- We lack the resources to provide and manage a booking system to ensure that visitors to the hides would be able to socially distance and enjoy a visit that is fair to all, and
- We are unable to ensure that social distancing and the wearing of face masks is taking place.
This will mean that there will be only limited, long-range views of the pool itself. The road down to the disabled car park will be closed off at the main car park. As is the normal situation, there is no access to the meadows, dogs are not permitted on the Reserve and please take your litter home.
We ask you to please respect the safety of both yourselves and other users and adhere to notices indicating where areas are closed and follow the Government advice on social distancing etc. If the car park is full or overcrowded, please leave and return later when it is quieter and do not park in the narrow lanes or in front of gates, access along which may be required at any time. We trust all visitors to be sensible and please help to guide others if you feel that this is appropriate or necessary. We hope that VP can be returned to its normal state when circumstances permit but, unfortunately, if the situation changes for the worse we may have to close the Reserve again. In the meantime, please monitor this website for announcements and advisories on the status of the reserve (27 July 2020).
- WALL FARM HIDE CLOSED! Please do not visit this site until the health emergency is over.
- CURLEW PROJECT POSTPONED. For information, follow this link.
SOS ‘Save Our Curlews” Appeal – SOS is sponsoring an appeal to raise funds for conservation-related research into the status of this species. Shropshire plays a significant role in the conservation of Curlews in the UK. We need your help. To assist, go to our “Save Our Curlews” link. Thank you. See above for information on the impact of COVID-19 on this project.
SAVE YOUR SOCIETY PRINTING COSTS, VOLUNTEER TIME AND POSTAGE & PACKAGING – GET YOUR COPY OF ‘THE BUZZARD’ ONLINE. Further information on this option is available HERE.
Trips & Meetings
Shropshire Birds & Birding
Bird Research & Recording