The field trip programme have been compiled by the Development & Publicity Sub-Committee in the absence of an Excursion Secretary.
Please can all those proposing to come on the excursions follow the guidelines which have been sent to members in the past and which are available on this website here.
Field Excursions 2021
The programme for 2021 has been compiled taking the Covid-19 pandemic into consideration. Given the uncertainty about government advice in the future, the Board has decided it would be prudent for the field trip programme to be considered as provisional. The viability of field trips will depend on the number of people allowed to mix together, especially using coaches, as well as whether there is full access to reserves, in England and in Wales (which has different criteria for responding to the health situation). Therefore it is essential that all members should check the “Breaking News” section of the SOS website for regular updates. It would be helpful if friends could inform those who may not be online.
All members are invited to these trips which are friendly and open to beginners and experts alike. Help to learn about the birds seen will be given by the group. Meet at the location given, no later than the time stated. HOWEVER AS A RESULT OF THE PANDEMIC, AND CONSIDERING THAT THIS PROGRAMME IS PROVISIONAL, PLEASE CHECK THE ‘BREAKING NEWS’ ON THE HOME PAGE OF THIS WEBSITE TO ENSURE THE TRIP IS GOING AHEAD. THIS WILL DEPEND ON THE CURRENT GOVERNMENT GUIDELINES. ANY MEMBER PLANNING TO GO ON THESE TRIPS SHOULD INFORM THE LEADER/ORGANISER OF THE FIELD TRIP SO THAT THE NUMBERS GOING ARE KNOWN (see phone numbers below).
As always, if car sharing can be organised, this would help everyone, as long as this would be allowed taking government guidelines into account. Remember that at some locations, amenities may not be available. All directions are suggestions only.
Sunday, 18th April – RSPB Ynys Hir – By Car – Organiser: Sue Brealey – CANCELLED IN RESPONSE TO PANDEMIC GUIDELINES
- Full Day – Meet at the Car Park at 10am.
- Grid Ref: SN682961/SatNav: SY20 8TA
- Directions: Take A487 from Machynlleth, towards Aberystwyth, turning right just after Glandyfi. It is about a mile to Car Park.
- See www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-events/reserves-a-z/ynys-hir/
Sunday, 16th May – Elan Valley (with RSPB Local Group) – By Car – Leaders: Helen Griffiths/Ian Baggley – CANCELLED IN RESPONSE TO PANDEMIC GUIDELINES
- Full Day – Meet at Car Park at 9.30am
- Post Code for SatNav: LD6 5HP
- Directions: From Rhayader follow the B4518 west out of the town. The left turn for the Visitor Centre is signposted after three miles. If following SatNav, ignore any advice to cross over the iron bridge, instead drive over cattle grid and visitor’s centre is ahead of you. Grid Ref: SN 928 646
- See www.elanvalley.org.uk
3rd-6th June – Weekend in East Yorkshire – By Car – Organiser: Sue Brealey – CANCELLED IN RESPONSE TO PANDEMIC GUIDELINES
- Please contact Sue for Details
July – No Field Trip
Sunday, 22nd August – Bird Fair 2021 at Rutland Water (with RSPB Local Group) – By Coach – Organiser: Sue Brealey – BIRD FAIR HAS BEEN CANCELLED FOR 2021 SO THIS TRIP WILL NOT BE HELD.
Sunday, 19th September – RSPB Conwy – By Car – Organiser: Sue Brealey – PROVISIONALLY CANCELLED (SEE ‘BREAKING NEWS’ ON HOME PAGE FOR LATEST NEWS ON THIS EVENT)
- Full Day – Meet at Car Park at 10am
- Postcode for SatNav: LL31 9XZ
- Directions: From the A55, take junction 18 (signposted Conwy and Deganwy) and follow the brown RSPB signs. The reserve is on the south side of the roundabout.
- See: www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-events/reserves-a-z/conwy/
Sunday, 17th October – RSPB Marshside – By Car – Leader – Estelle Hughes – PROVISIONALLY CANCELLED (SEE ‘BREAKING NEWS’ ON HOME PAGE FOR LATEST NEWS ON THIS EVENT)
- Full Day – Meet at the Car Park at 10am
- Postcode for SatNav: PR9 9PJ
- Directions: Take M6 north to J27, Then A5209 to Parbold, and turn right onto B5246 through Rufford until T-junction. Turn left onto A565. At roundabout take 3rd turning onto Martine Drive. Car Park is at next junction.
- Grid Ref: SD 353 205
- See: www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-events/reserves-a-z/marshside
- Note: If using the bridges at Runcorn, please note that there are tolls and payment will need to be paid by visiting the following website: www.merseyflow.co.uk/pay-for-crossing & following the instructions. This needs to be done on the day of the crossing otherwise fines could be incurred.
Sunday, 21st November – Pennington Flash – By Car – Organiser – Sue Brealey – PROVISIONALLY CANCELLED (SEE ‘BREAKING NEWS’ ON HOME PAGE FOR LATEST NEWS ON THIS EVENT)
- Full Day – Meet at the Car Park at 10am
- SatNav. Post code: WN7 3PA
- Directions: – From J22 of M6, take A580 towards Manchester. Turn left onto A572 (Newton Rd). Follow Sign Posts (Actually the Fire Station, but park is opposite). Pay & Display Car Park
- See: www.wlct.org/leisure/parks/parkshome
Sunday, 12th December – WWT Slimbridge (With RSPB Local Group) – BY Coach – Organiser: Sue Brealey – PROVISIONALLY CANCELLED (SEE ‘BREAKING NEWS’ ON HOME PAGE FOR LATEST NEWS ON THIS EVENT)
- Full Day – Meet at Shirehall Bus Stop to leave at 8.15pm sharp Postcode for SatNav: GL2 7BT
- Costs: – £15.00 per person for the coach plus entry fees for non-members of WWT
- See www.wwt.org.uk/wetland-centres/slimbridge
Sue Brealey 01939 262450 // 07713 164463
Helen J. Griffiths 01597 810789 // 07800 880445
Ian Baggley 01939 210520 // 07833 647109
Estelle Hughes 01948 840902 // 07817 243693