Starting in the New Year, we will begin experimenting with Zoom-based remote meetings to allow us to restart our monthly meetings. These will be conducted online for as long as we are prevented from meeting in person.
Sadly, given the ongoing COVID-19-related restrictions on indoor gatherings, and the rather onerous responsibilities put on charitable organisations like SOS to sanitise their meeting venues following meetings, our normal monthly get-togethers at Bayston Hill Memorial Hall have been cancelled for some time. As we move into 2021, we will try to offer an online alternative to indoor meetings.
You will have received a recent email directing you to this page to register for the next of our planned online sessions.
If you wish to participate, please fill out the form below after reading the following section.
- Registration is required for each session. This will permit us to send the link for the Zoom session only to those who have expressed an interest in ‘attending’.
- The sessions are open only to current SOS members.
- The license under which we are operating has a limit of 100 remote connections. Connections are the important parameter. A connected device is one connection. Two people watching the event on the same device is one connection. Two people, even if both are members, watching on separate devices, is two connections and both must have been registered.
- If you register for an event, it is very important that you do not share the session link information with anyone else and that you connect, using that information, with only one device.
- Where there are multiple connections in an individual household, even if the devices all belong to members, each one must be registered. Once the limit of 100 connections has been reached, further requests will not be registered.
- PLEASE only register if you are certain that you wish to ‘attend’. If you register, and then do not take part, you are possibly depriving someone else of the chance to participate. Those who register for online sessions and then do not participate will be excluded from registering for future sessions.
- If you receive a link for a meeting and then find you are unable to use it, please let us know as soon as possible so we can reallocate your space if we are oversubscribed.
- You will need to register for each event individually. To keep track of the sessions on offer, please check out the SOS website at www.shropshirebirds.com. Look in the Breaking News section on the home page.
- There will be a deadline for registering for each event. This is because there is a significant amount of administrative activity required ‘behind the scenes’ to prepare for each event. Hence, if you are certain you wish to take part, you should register as soon as possible.
For those unfamiliar with Zoom, the following links will be useful to orient you to the procedures in advance of your first session. Don’t panic! It is very straighforward!
All of these links will open in new windows so you will still have access to this page.
- System requirements for Windows, macOS and Linux. This article lists the requirements for using the Zoom desktop client on MS Windows, macOS and Linux.
- System requirements for iOS, iPadOS and Android. This article lists the requirements for using the Zoom mobile app on iOS, iPadOS and Android devices.
Download a Zoom App for your Device
How to Join a Zoom Meeting
- Follow this link to learn how to join an instant meeting through an email invitation, an instant messaging invitation, from your browser, from the Zoom desktop and mobile applications, or from a landline or mobile phone .Before joining a Zoom meeting on a computer or mobile device, you can download the Zoom app from our Download Center. Otherwise, you will be prompted to download and install Zoom when you click a join link.
Join an Automated Test Meeting
- To test your internet connection by joining a test meeting, follow this link.
Trial Session with SOS
If you wish to try joining a meeting and familiarise yourself with Zoom procedures in advance of our first substantive session, you can register for a trial session in late 2020 or early 2021. You will recieve information on this if we hold your email address in the membership database. The form below will permit you to register for the trial session and all subsequent ones. Meeting details will be changed for each.
Details of the First Speaker-based Online Session
Date: Wednesday, 6th January, 2021
Start Time: 7:15 pm
Title: World Primates, Cats and Dogs
Presenter: Mark Sissons
Registration Deadline: 7:15 pm, Monday, 4th January, 2021
For each connection you require, please provide the following information to participate in this session.
Please click the ‘Submit’ button only once. Note that the server may take some time (up to 30 seconds or more) to respond. When the page reloads and echoes back your inputs, your registration has been received. Do not keep clicking the ‘Submit’ button or you may be registered more than once.
If you have registered above, you are an SOS member, your registration is within the 100 connections limit and is before the deadline, and you have not been ‘blacklisted’ as a result of failing to participate in previous sessions for which you were registered, you will receive specific instructions to access the online session in advance of the event.