Indoor Meetings Programme 2016 & 2017
Meetings are held January-March and October-December at Bayston Hill on Wednesdays. They are free for members: guests pay £2. Tea, coffee and biscuits are served halfway through the meeting at a nominal charge.
The meetings are informal, informative and interesting. Why not come along, especially if you have not been before? You will learn more about birds and nature in general and be able to chat to others with similar interests. Directions to the meeting venue can be found at the bottom of this page.
Wednesday, 4 Jan 2017, 7:15pm: Oliver Smart – Butterfly Britain
- Some of you may remember Oliver’s talk on Grizzly Bears six years ago. This time it is a slightly smaller subject! Identifying butterflies gives a new dimension to birding in the
Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017, 7:15pm: Mike Lane – A Digital Lane
- A regular and informative speaker at SOS. Mike’s entry into the digital world should present an even more enjoyable evening.
Wednesday 1 Mar 2017, 7:15pm: Philip Mugridge – A Taste of America
- Please note that the topic previously advertised for this date has been changed. This talk will explore various bird-rich locations in North America, including Bosque del Apache (loads of Snow Geese and Sandhill Cranes), Michigan (birds in general and specifically Common Loons), California (mainly waders and coastal birds and sea otters), Baja California (mainly whales and some birds) and Alaska (birds and bears).
Wednesday, 5 April 2017, 7:15 pm: Jim Almond – Scilly – Pelagic Magic
- Adventures aboard MV Sapphire from St.Mary’s on the Isles of Scilly. From gulls, Fulmars and Gannets to the passage of Skuas, Petrels & Shearwaters, enjoy the magic of seabirds & other marine creatures.
Wednesday, 4 Oct 2017, 7:15pm: Mark Sisson – From Alaska to Argentina – some wild encounters in the Americas
- Mark’s presentation was so good when he came in Oct. 2016 I booked a speedy return. He is local, from Newport, writes in the Shropshire Magazine and runs photography workshops, hence the quality of his presentation. One to look forward to.
Wednesday, 1 Nov 2017, 7:15pm: Jeff Clarke – A Naturalist’s Year
- This talk will take us through Jeff’s calendar year, the highs and lows, the mishaps, the madness and the sheer beauty of the natural world.
Wednesday, 6 Dec 2017, 7:15pm: Nick Martin – Discovering Scotland’s Western and Northern Isles
- Including Skye, the Outer Hebrides and the Shetlands, this talk has Images of landscapes and wildlife – everything from eagles to orchids and skuas to otters. A must for lovers of Scotland.
Directions to Bayston Hill Memorial Hall
- From Shrewsbury, take the Hereford Road A49 towards Bayston Hill at the Meole Brace roundabout. Turn right in the village onto Lyth Hill Road…
- From Ludlow & Church Stretton, enter Bayston Hill on the A49 and continue past “The Compasses” inn on the right. About 100 m beyond the pub, turn left onto Lyth Hill Road…
- Then, the Hall is 80 m on the left. If you go past Lodge Crescent (on the right) you’ve gone too far. There is car parking at the hall. The OS grid ref is SJ486087 and the postcode is SY3 0DU.
- For a map of the hall location (which can be panned and zoomed), click here.