The field trip programme have been compiled by the Development & Publicity Sub-Committee in the absence of an Excursion Secretary.
Please can all those proposing to come on the excursions follow the guidelines which have been sent to members in the past and which are available on this website here.
Field Excursions 2021-22
All members are invited to these trips, which are friendly and open to beginners and experts alike. Help to identify and learn about the birds seen will be given by the group. Meet at the location given, no later than the time stated. PLEASE CHECK THE WEBSITE HOMEPAGE (UNDER “BREAKING NEWS”) TO ENSURE THE TRIP IS GOING AHEAD. THIS WILL DEPEND ON CURRENT GOVERNMENT GUIDELINES AT THE TIME OF THE TRIP. PLEASE FOLLOW LOCAL INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT WEARING FACE MASKS & SOCIAL DISTANCING IN HIDES.
ANYONE PLANNING TO GO ON THESE TRIPS SHOULD INFORM THE LEADER/ORGANISER OF THE FIELD TRIP SO THAT THE NUMBERS IN ATTENDANCE ARE KNOWN IN ADVANCE (see phone numbers below).
As always, if car sharing can be organised under prevailing Covid-19 guidelines, this will be helpful to everyone. Remember that at some locations, amenities may not be available. All directions are suggestions only.
Sunday, 21st November – Pennington Flash – By Car – Leader/Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at the Car Park at 10am
- SatNav. Post code: WN7 3PA
- Directions: – From J22 of M6, take A580 towards Manchester. Turn left onto A572 (Newton Rd). Follow Sign Posts (Actually the Fire Station, but park is opposite). Pay & Display Car Park
- See: www.wlct.org/leisure/parks/parkshome
Sunday, 12th December – WWT Slimbridge (With RSPB Local Group) – By Coach (subject to acceptability of coach company guidelines) – Leader/Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at Shirehall Bus Stop to leave at 8.15pm sharp.
- Postcode for SatNav: GL2 7BT
- Costs: – £15.00 per person for the coach plus entry fees for non-members of WWT.
- See www.wwt.org.uk/wetland-centres/slimbridge
January – No Field Trip
Sunday, 20th February – Colemere – By Car – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Half Day – Meet at the Car Park at 9am.
- Postcode for SatNav: SY12 0QW
- Follow the signs for Colemere Country Park from A528
- See http://www.shropshiresgreatoutdoors.co.uk/site/colemere-countryside-heritage-site/
Sunday, 20th March – RSPB Leighton Moss – BY Car – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at Car Park at 10.30am.
- Post Code for SatNav: LA5 0SW
- Take M56 to M6 North. Turn off at Junction 35 (signposted for Carnforth) then follow A6 north (signposted Milnthorpe) and then follow the brown tourist signs to direct you to the reserve off the A6.
- See: www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-events/reserves-a-z/leighton-moss/
Sunday, 18th April – RSPB Ynys Hir – By Car – Leaders: Jock & Mim Elliott-Smith
- Full Day – Meet at the Car Park at 10am.
- Grid Ref: SN682961
- Postcode for SatNav: SY20 8TA
- Directions: Take A487 from Machynlleth, towards Aberystwyth, turning right just after Glandyfi. It is about a mile to Car Park.
- See www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-events/reserves-a-z/ynys-hir/
19th – 22nd May – Weekend in Somerset – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Please contact Sue Brealey for details
Sunday, 12th June – Woolston Eyes – By Car – Leader: Estelle Hughes
- Full Day – Meet at Barrier for Access at 9.30am.
- SatNav: WA4 1NN
- Directions: Approaching from the south you should cross the ship canal swing bridge on the Knutsford Road (A50), take the right-hand lane through Latchford and cross Kingsway South into Thelwall Lane.
- See www. woolstoneyes.com/woolston-eyes/
July – No Field Trip
Sunday, 21st August – Bird Fair 2022 at Rutland Water – By Coach – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- TO BE CONFIRMED MARCH 2022 – PLEASE SEE SOS WEBSITE
- Full day – Leaving the Shirehall promptly at 7.45am
- Costs include £15.00 for the Coach Fare plus the Entrance Fee to the Fair itself (£15.00 in 2019). There is a discount when booking the ticket online and usually for RSPB members. For those who have not gone before this is an ideal way of finding out about anything to do with bird watching, from equipment to optics to travels plus lots of other events.
- See www.birdfair.org.uk/
Sunday, 18th September – Brandon Marsh – By Car – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at Reserve Car Park at 10am. SatNav.
- Post Code: CV3 3GW
- Directions: Take M6 to Junction 2. Take A46 south, and then turn left onto A45 towards Rugby. Turns left after about 200 yards, and then turn left after the Texaco Station into Brandon Lane. The Nature Centre is 1 mile along the lane. Follow the brown signs. Entry Fees £2.50 for Adults & £1.50 for Concessions.
- See http://www.warwickshirewildlifetrust.org.uk/reserves/brandon-marsh
Sunday, 9th October – RSPB Burton Mere – By Car – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at the Car Park at 10am.
- Postcode for SatNav: CH64 5SF.
- Grid Ref: SD 353 205
- Directions: Take A540 from Chester towards North Wirral. After the Two Miles crossroads (A540/A550), take the next left turning into Puddington Lane. The reserve is sign posted on the left, before coming to Burton village.
- See: www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-events/reserves-a-z/marshside
Sunday, 20th November – Llanfairfechan & North Wales Coast – By Car – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at the Car Park at Llanfairfechan at 10am.
- Postcode for SatNav: LL33 0BY.
- Grid Ref: SH 680 753
- Directions: Take the A55 from Chester towards Anglesey. After going through Conwy road tunnel, exit after 2nd roundabout (J14) into the town. At traffic lights turn right and continue to the car park on the sea front.
Sunday, 11th December – WWT Martinmere – By Coach – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at the Shirehall Car Park at 8am
- Cost will be £15 per person for the coach plus entry to the reserve for non-members. More details at a later date. Please book with Sue Brealey from September 2022
- See www.wwt.org.uk/martinmere
- Sue Brealey 01939 262450//07713 164463
- Estelle Hughes 01948 840902//07817 243693
- Mim Elliott-Smith 01743 718616//07507 745497
- Jock Elliott-Smith 01743 718616//07800 543757