Field Trips 2017
The field trip programme for 2017 has been compiled by the Development & Publicity Sub-Committee, in the absence of an Excursion Secretary. Everyone is very welcome on these trips – you don’t need to be an SOS member. They have a friendly and inclusive atmosphere and are open to beginners and experts alike.
In order to indicate the numbers intending to go on each trip, please contact the leader/organiser designated for the trip concerned – their phone numbers are given below. Please share cars if possible and remember that, at some locations, amenities may not be available. Meet at the location given, no later than the time stated. Before attending, please read the Field Trip Guidelines. We look forward to seeing you on the next excursion.
Sunday, 21 May 2017 – Elan Valley – By Car – Leader: Helen J Griffiths
- Full Day – Meet at Visitor Centre Car Park at 10am.
- Post Code: LD6 5HP & Grid Ref: SN 928646
- Directions: From Rhayader follow the B4518 west out of town, towards the Elan Valley. The left turn for the Visitor Centre is signposted after three miles. Do not cross over the iron bridge; instead, turn right over cattle grid and Visitor Centre is ahead of you.
- See www.elanvalley.org.uk
Thurs. 1 to Sun 4 June 2017 – Trip to Pembrokeshire – By Car – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Note: This trip is now fully booked. However there is a waiting list for those still interested, in case any present participants have to cancel. For further information please can those interested get in contact with Sue Brealey in the usual manner.
Sunday, 25 June 2017 – Gronant Dunes (Little Tern Colony) – By Car – Leader: Estelle Hughes
- Full Day – Meet at car park at 9.30am.
- Post Code: LL19 9TT
- Directions: Take A483 towards Chester, then take A55 towards North Wales. Take turning J33 onto A5119 to Flint. Turn left in Flint onto A548 towards Prestatyn. At Talacre (Point of Ayr) carry straight at roundabout towards Prestatyn. After 1½ miles turn right for Lower Gronant. Use car park on left before railway bridge.
NB: There will be no Field Trip in JULY 2017
Saturday, 19 August 2017 – Upton Warren – By Car – Organiser: Helen J Griffiths Leader: from Worcs. Wildlife Trust
- Full Day – Meet at the Flashes Car Park at 9.30am.
- Post Code: B61 7ET & Grid Ref: SO 936 677.
- Directions:Take A38 north towards Bromsgrove from Junction 5 of M5. Go past Webbs Garden Centre and turn in the Flashes car park on the right after about 1 mile. This lane is not tarmacked. There will be small charge for those not members of a Wildlife Trust. Details to follow.
- See www.worcswildlifetrust.co.uk/reserves/the-christopher-cadbury-wetland-reserve-at-upton-warren
Sunday, 10 September 2017 – Wirral: Leasowes, Hoylake & Burton Mere – By Car – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at the Leasowes Car Park at 10am.
- Grid Ref: SDS353205.
- Directions: – Travel towards The Wirral and go onto M53. Come off at J1 onto A554 going north. At the T-junction, turn onto A551. Just as the road turns left go straight ahead onto rough road towards the lighthouse. The car park is on the left.
Sunday, 29 October 2017 – Lunt Meadows – By Car – Leader: Estelle Hughes
- PLEASE REMEMBER THE CLOCKS GO BACK THIS WEEKEND!!
- Full Day – Meet at the car park for 10.30am.
- Post Code: L29 7WL.
- Directions: Take A55 west & join M56. Turn onto Weston Expressway (A557) then M57. At end of M57 continue on Brickwall Lane (B5422). Go to Sefton village & turn left onto Lunt Road. Follow this through village, and turn right onto the reserve, just after leaving Lunt. A new reserve; on the lookout for owls.
- See: www.lancswt.org.uk/reserves/lunt-meadows
Sunday, 12 November 2017 – Tregaron Bog (Cors Caron) – By Car – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at car park at 10.30am.
- Grid Ref: SN 695630.
- Directions: From Llangurig take A44 towards Aberystwyth, then turn left onto A4120 for Devil’s Bridge. Take B4343 for Tregaron & park in reserve car park.
- See http://www.naturalresources.wales/out-and-about/places-to-go/mid-wales/cors-caron-national-nature-reserve/?lang=en
Sunday, 3 December 2017 – WWT Martinmere – By Coach – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at the Shirehall car park at 8am.
- Cost will be £15 per person for the coach plus entry to the reserve for non WWT members. More details at a later date. Please book with Sue Brealey from September 2017.
- See www.wwt.org.uk/martinmere
Sue Brealey 01939 262450 // 07713 164463
Dave Pearce 07582 352061
Allan Dawes 01691 654245
Helen Griffiths 07800 880445// 01743 761507
Estelle Hughes 07817 243693 // 01948 840902