Field Trips 2019
The Field Trips for 2019 have been compiled by the Development & Publicity Sub-Committee in the absence of an Excursion Secretary.
All members are invited to these trips which are friendly and open to beginners and experts alike. Help to learn about the birds seen will be given by the group. Meet at the location given, no later than the time stated. Please can all those proposing to come on Field Trips follow the guidelines which have been sent to members in the past and which are available on this website here. In order to indicate the numbers proposing to go on each trip, could you please contact the leader/organiser designated for the trip concerned (Phone numbers below) As always, if car sharing can be organised this would help everyone. Remember that at some locations, amenities may not be available. All directions are suggestions only.
Sunday, 24th February – RSPB Marshside & Hesketh Out Marsh – By Car – Leader: Estelle Hughes
- Full Day – Meet at the Car Park at 10am
- Postcode for SatNav: PR9 9PJ
- Directions: Take M6 north to J27, Then A5209 to Parbold, and turn right onto B5246 through Rufford until T-junction. Turn left onto A565. At roundabout take 3rd turning onto Martine Drive. Car Park is at next junction.
- Grid Ref: SD 353 205
- See www.rspb.org.uk/reserves then Marshside & Hesketh Out Marsh
- Please note the Merseyflow note below
Sunday, 24th March – RSPB Dearne Valley – Old Moor – By Coach – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at Shirehall Bus Stop to leave at 7.45pm sharp.
- Postcode for SatNav: S73 0YF
- Costs: – £15.00 per person for the coach. Please bring proof of RSPB Membership. Booking from October 2018
- See www.rspb.org.uk/reserves then Dearne Valley Old Moor
Sunday, 7th April – Leasowes, Parkgate & RSPB Burtonmere – By car – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at the Leasowes Car Park at 9.30am
- Postcode for SatNav: CH46 4TA
- Directions: – Travel towards The Wirral and go onto M53. Come off at J1 onto A554 going north. At the ‘T’ junction turn onto A551. Just as the road turns left go straight ahead onto rough road towards the lighthouse. The car park is on the left.
- Grid Ref: SD 30I 028
- See www.deeestuary.co.uk/
30th May – 2nd June – Weekend Trip to Suffolk – By car – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Please contact Sue Brealey for details
Sunday, 23rd June – Upton Warren NNR – By car – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at the Moors Car Park at 9.30am
- Postcode for SatNav: B61 7ET
- Directions: Take A38 north towards Bromsgrove from junction 5 of M5. Go past Webb’s Garden Centre and turn in the Moors car park on the right after about 1 mile. This lane is not tarmaced. There will be a permit charge of £3.00 from Worcestershire Wildlife Trust unless a member of the Wildlife Trusts.
- Grid Ref: SO 936 677
- See www.worcswildlifetrust.co.uk/reserves/the-christopher-cadbury-wetland-reserve-at-upton-warren
July – No Trip
August – No Trip
Sunday, 8th September – Tregaron Bog (Cors Caron) NNR – By car – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at Old Station Car Park with Visitor Centre at 10:30 am
- Postcode for SatNav: None
- Directions: From Llangurig take A44 towards Aberystwyth, then turn left onto A4120 for Devil’s Bridge. Take B4343 for Tregaron & park in Reserve Car Park.
- Grid Ref: SN 695 630
- See www.naturalresources.wales/days-out/places-to-visit/mid-wales/cors-caron-nature-reserve
Sunday, 13th October – Kingsbury Water Park & RSPB Middleton Lakes – By car – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at Broomey Croft Pool Car Park at 10:00 am
- Kingsbury Water Park
- Postcode for SatNav: B76 0EF
- Directions: Take M6 south then M42 north. At J6 take A4097 Kingsbury Road to Marston, turn left into Bodymoor Heath Road. Go past the main entrance and go over M42 and find a second entrance on the right. Follow the lanes until the car park is reached at the end.
- Grid Ref: SP 203 970
- See www.countryparks.warwickshire.gov.uk/country-parks/kingsbury-water-park
- RSPB Middleton Lakes
- Postcode for SatNav: B78 2AE
- Grid Ref: SP 192 967
- See www.rspb.org.uk/reserves then Middleton Lakes
Sunday, 24th November – Mere Sands Wood NNR & Lunt Meadows – By car – Organiser: Estelle Hughes
- Full Day – Meet at Car Park at 10am
- Mere Sands Wood NNR
- Postcode for SatNav: L40 1TG
- Directions: Take M6 north to J27. Turn left onto A5209 & follow it to Burscough and turn right onto A59. Follow A59 to just south of Rufford, and turn left onto A5246 (Holmeswood Road). The reserve is on the left. Car Park Charge £2.00
- Grid Ref: SD 447 159
- See www.lancswt.org.uk/nature-reserves/mere-sands-wood-nature-reserve
- Lunt Meadows NNR
- Postcode for SatNav: L29 7WL
- Grid Ref: SD 353 017
- See www.lancswt.org.uk/nature-reserves/lunt-meadows-nature-reserve
- Please note the Merseyflow notes below
Sunday, 15th December – WWT Martinmere – By Coach – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at Shirehall Bus Stop to leave at 8.15pm sharp
- Postcode for SatNav: L40 0TA
- Costs: – £15.00 per person for the coach plus entry fees for non-members of WWT
- See www.wwt.org.uk/wetland-centres/martinmere
Sue Brealey 01939 262450//07713 164463
Estelle Hughes 01948 840902//07817 243693
Note: If using the bridges at Runcorn, please note that there are tolls and payment will need to be paid at the following website: www.merseyflow.co.uk/pay-for-crossing & follow the instructions. This needs to be done on the day of the crossing otherwise fines could be incurred.