Field Trips 2017 & 2018
The field trip programme for 2017 and 2018 has been compiled by the Development & Publicity Sub-Committee, in the absence of an Excursion Secretary. Everyone is very welcome on these trips – you don’t need to be an SOS member. They have a friendly and inclusive atmosphere and are open to beginners and experts alike.
All members are invited to these trips, which are friendly and open to beginners and experts alike. Help to learn about the birds seen will be given by the group. Meet at the location given, no later than the time stated. Before attending, please read the Field Trip Guidelines. In order to indicate the numbers proposing to go on each trip, could you please contact the leader/organiser designated for the trip concerned (phone numbers below). As always, if car sharing can be organised, this would help everyone. Remember that at some locations, amenities may not be available
We look forward to seeing you on the next excursion.
Remaining Trips in 2017
Sunday, 29 October 2017 – Lunt Meadows – By Car – Leader: Estelle Hughes
- PLEASE REMEMBER THE CLOCKS GO BACK THIS WEEKEND!!
- Full Day – Meet at the car park for 10.30am.
- Post Code: L29 7WL.
- Directions: Take A55 west & join M56. Turn onto Weston Expressway (A557) then M57. At end of M57 continue on Brickwall Lane (B5422). Go to Sefton village & turn left onto Lunt Road. Follow this through village, and turn right onto the reserve, just after leaving Lunt. A new reserve; on the lookout for owls.
- See: www.lancswt.org.uk/reserves/lunt-meadows
Sunday, 12 November 2017 – Tregaron Bog (Cors Caron) – By Car – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at car park at 10.30am.
- Grid Ref: SN 695630.
- Directions: From Llangurig take A44 towards Aberystwyth, then turn left onto A4120 for Devil’s Bridge. Take B4343 for Tregaron & park in reserve car park.
- See http://www.naturalresources.wales/out-and-about/places-to-go/mid-wales/cors-caron-national-nature-reserve/?lang=en
Sunday, 3 December 2017 – WWT Martinmere – By Coach – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at the Shirehall car park at 8am.
- Cost will be £15 per person for the coach plus entry to the reserve for non WWT members. More details at a later date. Please book with Sue Brealey from September 2017.
- See www.wwt.org.uk/martinmere
Trips in 2018
Sunday, 7 January 2018 – Colemere – By Car – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Half Day – Meet at the Car Park at 9am
- Postcode for SatNav: SY12 0QW
- Follow the signs for Colemere Country Park from A528
- See http://www.shropshiresgreatoutdoors.co.uk/site/colemere-countryside-heritage-site/
Sunday, 19 February 2018 – Rutland Water – By Coach – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at Shirehall Car Park at 8am
- Cost will be £15 per person for the coach plus £4 for entry to the reserve. Please book with Sue Brealey from September 2017
- See http://www.rutlandwater.org.uk/
Sunday, 25 March – Moore Nature Reserve – By Car – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at the Car Park at 9.30am
- Post Code for SatNav – WA4 6XE
- From the A56 (from Warrington of the M56 J11) turn at the traffic lights opposite the Walton Arms public house, following the sign for Moore. From Moore village turn right into Moore Lane. Follow this road over the swing bridge to arrive at Moore Nature Reserve.
- See http://www.fccenvironment.co.uk/moorenaturereserve.html
Sunday, 8 April – Bury Ditches – By Car – Leader: Dave Pearce
- Half Day – Meet at the Forestry Commission Car Park at Grid Ref: SO 325837 at 9am
- From Clunton, take the road towards Brockton and the B4385. The Forestry Commission car park is about 2 miles up the road.
- See: www.forestry.gov.uk & follow links England > West Midlands > Bury Ditches
Sunday, 20 May – RSPB Ynys Hir – By Car – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at the Car Park at 10am.
- Grid Ref: SN682961/SatNav: SY20 8TA
- Directions: Take A487 from Machynlleth, towards Aberystwyth, turning right just after Glandyfi. It is about a mile to Car Park.
- See www.rspb.org.uk
Sunday, 10 June – Queen’s Head Canal – By Car – Leader: Allan Dawes
- Half Day – Meet at Car Park at 9am
- Grid Ref: SJ3392
- Directions: Turn right from the A5 if coming from Shrewsbury, or left if from Oswestry at Queen’s Head. Use the canal car park.
- This will be a bird-watching walk along the canal ,looking in particular for spring migrants
July and August – NO TRIPS
Sunday, 30 September – Brandon Marsh – By Car – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at Reserve Car Park at 10am
- SatNav. Post Code: CV3 3GW
- Directions: Take M6 to Junction 2. Take A46 south, and then turn left onto A45 towards Rugby. Turns left after about 200 yards, and then turn left after the Texaco Station into Brandon Lane. The Nature Centre is 1 mile along the lane. Follow the brown signs. Entry Fees £2.50 for Adults & £1.50 for Concessions
- See http://www.warwickshirewildlifetrust.org.uk/reserves/brandon-marsh
Thursday 18 to Sunday 21 October – Weekend Trip to Norfolk – By Car – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Please see Sue Brealey for details
- Maximum number is 14
- Bookings from January 2018
Sunday, 4 November – Pennington Flash – By Car – Leader: Estelle Hughes
- Full Day – Meet at the Car Park at 10am
- SatNav. Post code: WN7 3PA
- Directions: – From J22 of M6, take A580 towards Manchester. Turn left onto A572 (Newton Rd). Follow Sign Posts (Actually the Fire Station, but park is opposite). Pay & Display Car Park
- See www.wlct.org/leisure/parks/parkshome
Sunday, 9 December – WWT Slimbridge – By Coach – Organiser: Sue Brealey
- Full Day – Meet at the Shirehall Car Park at 8.15am
- Cost will be £15 per person for the coach plus entry to the reserve for non-members.
- Price is £8.50 for Concessions & £10.80 for Adults. Please book with Sue Brealey from September 2018.
- See www.wwt.org.uk/slimbridge
Sue Brealey 01939 262450 // 07713 164463
Dave Pearce 07582 352061
Allan Dawes 01691 654245
Estelle Hughes 07817 243693 // 01948 840902